In my dream a few nights ago, I was at a retreat-type place with a group of about 20 people. We were being instructed to participate in an activity called “How Can I Help You?” We were paired with another person in the group that we did not know. The rules were very explicit.
1. We must spend the entire day talking with our partner.
2. The topic of the dialog between us must address the issue of “How Can I Help You?” without actually asking the question.
3. The purpose of this dialog was for each partner to determine on his/her own intuition exactly what the other person needed (not wanted) to help them through their present situation. In other words, the partners were not allowed to ask for anything.
4. The dialog was to be honest and open, so as to allow each partner to decide the best way to help the other person.
5. Money was never to be considered as a solution. However, other physical items could be considered.
As I recalled this dream, and began to deal with the interpretation and how it might apply to my present situation, I was at a loss. Certainly I needed to be more aware of other people’s needs, certainly I needed to be more open about my own needs, but what action was required to honor this message from my unconscious? I shared this dream with Regina, my wife. Her response: “I think you need to blog.” So here we are.
It also occurs to me that this activity is something in which we should all participate daily. Talking, listening, interpreting, acting.
How can I help you?